Monday, November 28, 2005

Trials and Tribulations

I have to admit that I am not terribly worked up over the questions of how fair Saddam's trial will be. He has done enough that he ought to be executed for that in the end it will not make much practical difference if his trial is fair or not, he is going to die.

I also see no reason to move the trial to some international tribunal where the wimps will refuse to consider the death penalty, not to mention the fact that I am skeptical of the "international community" in the first place.

On the other hand, I am a little concerned that in the rush to get him convicted of some crime and execute him, that we will lose accounts of other, far worse crimes. And perhaps that is the intent - to get him tried and executed for one offense that has few connections to other countries, so as to avoid him testifying on any subject that might embarrass other countries (say, Russia or the U.S.).

That is all.

No comments: