Monday, December 06, 2004

Bad Arguments

I'm sick of people who argue that George W. Bush couldn't have lied about WMDs, because why would he commit political suicide by making claims that he would have known would be disproven?

Lawrence Auster of VFR became so upset at people arguing that Bush lied that he threatened to ban those who made such comments from his website VFR. As a result I decided to delink VFR from my links column.

The problem with the argument is that Bush won even without discovering the WMDs. Therefore, to argue that being wrong about the WMDs would be politically devastating is simply devastatingly incorrect.

Did Bush lie? I don't know, but I don't think he really cared whether or not the charges of WMD were true. He wanted to conquer Iraq and was willing to embrace anything that would appear to justify the attack.

That is all.

No comments: