Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Music to My Ears

Steve Sailer talks about New Wave music, a subject near and dear to my heart. Of course, as a person who was born in 1978, I wasn't very much into them when they first came out (I was either not born yet, not conceived yet, or a baby), but in 1994, when VH1 had a "Whatever Happened To.." special, I got into the early 80s big time (that was back when MTV and VH1 remember that they were there to play musivc videos, not so we could see fatso celebrities lose weight, or watch Brigitte Nielsen have a love affair with a black Viking). [Come to think of it, Duran Duran (in their Thank You album) covered one of his songs].

I especially found Sailer's analysis of Devo and Talking Heads to be insightful:

So, when "Devo" did their robotic demolition of the Rolling Stones's "Satisfaction," the message was that you didn't have to pretend anymore that you were cool like Mick Jagger, that you were what Norman Mailer praised as a "White Negro." You were a white nerd instead and that was who you were.

Ah, so that's why I love that version so much. Maybe I will pop my The Complete Truth About De-Evolution DVD into the DVD player and listen to it (and watch the video) tonight.

That is all.

No comments: