Thursday, April 14, 2005

More on Female-on-Male Statutory Rape

On my recent post on the California sex scandal daveg brought up a good point:

" The one issue that is overlooked in this debate is pregnancy."

This is a point that I had brought up myself in relation to the Mary Kay Letourneau case.

Yes, I agree that there should be some penalties on a teacher who has sex with an underage student. But when they are 17, I don't necessarily see jail time as a solution. Perhaps forfeiting all rights to child support woulod be appropriate, and certainly there should be some punishment (that is, if 17 is underage, as it is in California). Perhaps probation. And repeated violations would be enough to cause a prison sentence.

Nonetheless, I would not consider the behavior to be potentially traumatic to the boy the way I would if the boy was, say, 15. And definitely when the boy is 13, I have no problem using the term "rape" to describe it.

That is all.

No comments: