Tuesday, October 12, 2004

Suggested Replies for Bush in the Debates

Here are a few things Bush could have and should have said in the debates if he wanted to score points (Keep in mind, I am basing these statemetns on what George W. Bush believes; they don't necessarily reflect my views on a subject).
[Note, when I use a letter for a number it means that I don't remember the exact amount; Bush should memorize exact amounts before the debates].

(1) When Kerry used the term "unilateral:"
Okay, listen here. I understand what Senator Kerry meant by unilateral. He meant that the UN didn't approve, and that we didn't get a whole lot of material support from other coalition countries. A fair point, but that isn't the same thing as unilateral. More than 30 countries supported us in the war, and more than 30 sent troops to help us. In many cases, it was a token force, but that still means that they supported rather than opposed our efforts. Granted, I would have liked not to have had the US pull most of the weight, but to suggest that every other country was opposed to us is false.
Moreover, in all honesty, I don't think that the French, the Germans, the Russians, the Chinese, the Turks, or the Indians would have ever given us troops, and the other countries in the coalition couldn't afford to give more than they had. So in my opinion, our coalition was the best that we could have gotten under the circumstances, and waiting another month, three months, or a year wouldn't have changed that.
(2) When talking the budget:
Kerry claims that my estimate of $2.2 trillion over x [I don't know the exact number] years [what Bush said Kerry's proposals would cost] is "fuzzy math." He's probably right. Knowing what we know about government, it would probably wind up costing more. The tax cut is estimated to be $y trillion dollars over x years, and $z trillion of that would come from the top 2%. there is no way that Kerry can finance his current proposals simply by eliminating the tax cut for the top 2%, let alone finance them and reduce the deficit by 50%, even if his best estimates for the costs of his programs are true. Moreover, the combined deficits over the past three years was $j trillion while the tax cuts were only $k trillion. The tax cuts did not create the deficit; it would still be here without them, so the idea that my tax cuts created the deficit is false.
(3) On prescription drugs:
[Bush's talk of safety was ridiculous; that's not the reason we don't import drugs from Canada and he looked like a fool when he kept using it as a reason].
Listen, what Kerry doesn't understand is that developing a drug costs money, but making the drug after it is developed is very cheap.
All the other countries, including Canada, have price controls; these are absurdly low and reduce drug companies' profits to the point where they couldn't do research for new drugs. Sure, they will still sell the drugs in Canada, because the price of the drugs in Canada is high enough to cover the costs of making and shipping the pills. But if everyone bought drugs at Canadian prices, the drug companies would stop doing research and there would be no more new drugs out there.
What we need to do is use the WTO, NAFTA, GATT, and the FTAA to start forcing these other countries, like Canada and Europe, to pay their fair share of the research costs. If their price controls were loosened, we could pay less here; if they would pay their fair share, we could pay less.
(4) On the federal funding of abortion issue:
What Kerry is saying, in so many words, is YES, I WILL FORCE YOU TO PAY FOR ABORTION WITH YOUR TAX DOLLARS. I guess Kerry really isn't pro-choice - if you're a taxpayer. Listen, it's a great thing to talk aobut choice, and about how we have philosophical disagreements and how we can feel different ways but not force our beliefs on each other. But Kerry believes that you should be forced to pay for somoene else's abortion, so he IS forcing his belief on you. It strikes me as strange that someone who claims to believe that life begins at conception wants not only legal abortion, but government subsidized abortion. I guess it's just one of his flip-flops.
(5) On mistakes:
Yes, I'll list three mistakes I made. I'll list them right here.
First, I made the mistake of reaching out to the more liberal members of hte Democratic Party, such as Ted Kennedy long after they showed me that they had no interest in reaching back. In the future, I'll only reach out to those in the Democratic Party who are willing to work with me and who are willing to give as well as take.
Second, I made the mistake in the build-up to Operation Iraqi Freedom of assuming that the Turks were going to let me use their land to launch the northern part of the invasion. Well, they denied us the use of their space. As a result, the 4th infantry division was delayed x weeks when it had to go all the way around Africa. In the future, I will only deploy troops to points where we have an ironclad guarantee of access or which are relatively near places where there is an ironclad guarantee. I should have put all of the troops in the Persian Gulf area from the start.
Third, initially I was willing to delay Iraqi elections and allow a caucus-selected government to govern Iraq for a few years first. This was my initial plan, and it was a huge mistake. Happily, my administration was constantly in touch with the Iraqi people and we managed to realize the mistake and correct it. Now we are committed to having elections in January. So that was a mistake which we corrected.

No comments: