Thursday, October 20, 2005

Avian Flu, Etc.

I tend not to be much of a "natural disasters alarmist." Perhaps it's my faith in God, but I tend to think that we can cope with things better than some people fear. For example, I do not think that oil running out over the next 30 years, if it occurs, will lead to either mass starvation or the re-agriculturalization of our economy. (I'll talk about this in more detail at some point).

But I also doubt that pandemic diseases will be as plague-like as they were in earlier years, for the primary reason that better health and nutrition, and better medical care in general, make a lot of these dieases a lot less serious than they used to be. While we don't have a cure for viral diseases, for example, improved health makes most people much more able to fight off the diseases for themselves. And for bacteria, we have antibiotics.

Over at Gene Expression, scottm and Rikurzhen have posts advocating the "don't panic" position. Very worth reading, in my opinion.

That is all.

No comments: