Wednesday, July 06, 2005

Thoughts on Eugenics

This article on eugenics gave me two thoughts:

(1) The main reason that people object to human eugenics, particularly to human genetic engineering, is that on some level it objectifies people. I think that most of the portrayals of eugenics as creating a dystopia are based on the idea that eugenics requires one to look at people as objects, and thus destroys a lot of the basis for individual rights.

I would say, though, that breeding-based eugenics (i.e. by choosing a sperm donor) is less disturbing than custom-engineered humans, as it is simply a more refined version of what we have been doing for our entire history.

(2) Personally, I cannot imagine being willing to donate sperm anonymously. I couldn't stand the idea of having kids out there that I didn't know, or even know of.

That is all.

No comments: