Saturday, May 24, 2008

Gitmo and Propaganda

I like this article, which deals with Guantanamo detainees who are released and who then commit terrorist acts. The pro-warriors, of course, use them as evidence that anyone who comes to Guantanamo must be detained forever lest they be a terrorist. That perhaps this indicates that our methods for screening people to determine their status before shipping them to Gitmo or for keeping them at Gitmo are faulty never enters their minds.

The truth of the matter is that the treatment of Guantanamo detainees has always been less of an issue for me (not because I don't care how they are treated but because I haven't heard of any severe mistreatment in Guantanamo) than the issue of the sufficiency of the screening methods. That is, my main concern is that the methods for challenging one's detention or getting one's detention reviewed may not be sufficient.

That is all.

No comments: