Monday, January 09, 2006

Don't Be Associated with Crackpots When You Don't Have to Be

Reading a recent column by Paul Craig Roberts about the wiretapping issue (I'll try to post about the column later), I notice a passing allusion to the Reichstag Fire, the incident (the burning of the German equivalent of our National Capitol Building, supposedly by Communists) which led to the Nazis consolidating their power in Germany.

This column on CommonDreams by Harvey Wasserman makes the allusion in much more detail.

I personally do not think that it is a good thing to try to draw parallels between the Reichstag fire and 9/11. This is because there is a strong possibility that the Reichstag fire was set by the Nazis themselves to allow them to take power. Any comparison of 9/11 to the Reichstag fire automatically brings up the crackpot discussion of the idea that Bush and/or his cronies were behind 9/11 in order to allow them to (a) attack Iraq (b) conquer the world (c) destroy civil liberties (d) kill the Arabs on behalf of the Zionists (e) et cetera.

Although I am sure that there are those who will disagree with me, I think that this is a crackpot theory and I think that reasonable antiwar people ought to dissociate ourselves from such tinfoil hattery.

That is all.

No comments: