Wednesday, May 25, 2005

Koran, Qu'Ran, Moslem, Muslim

Steve Sailer is against using the spelling "Qu'Ran" when referring to the Muslim/Moslem holy book.

My feeling: I have been spelling it "Qu'Ran" because I was under the impression that that was the way that most Muslims preferred it spelt (I was also under the impression that they prefer "Muslim" to "Moslem"). I have no interest in being pretentious. I just want to avoid offending anyone unnecessarily by spelling the name of the writings that they consider scripture in a way they don't like. (Don't get me wrong, I don't intend to bend over every time someone gets offended by something I say; I am just trying to avoid giving unnecessary offense because I consider it polite). If I have any Muslim readers, please tell me how you prefer me to spell Qu'Ran/Koran and Muslim/Moslem. My aim, as always, is to be polite and respectful. Anyone have any thoughts on the different spellings?

That is all.

No comments: