Thursday, January 20, 2005

Iraqi Blogs

I want to say right now that I am sorry that I suggested that anything was out-of-whack with Iraq the Model.
I don't think that they are American plants and I think that they are sincere.

However, I also think that Riverbend is genuine as well, although a lot of people seem to smear her as a Ba'athist because she doesn't toe the line.

Iraq the Model has accused Riverbend of lying, but I suspect that there is another reason for the differences in perception; perhaps certain areas of Baghdad are better off than others, or electricity allowances difer depending on usage in different areas of hte city, or something.
Some of the errors are miniscule (5,000 dinars being $2.50 vs. $2.27).
Other things, like the electric bills (post-war 3650 dinars is normal according to Iraq the Model, 70,000 according to Riverbend, pre-war 20,000 ccording to ItM and 5,000 to RB), are difficult to explain away, but there may be an innocent explanation.

If not, then I don't know who is lying.

In any case, though, I am irritated by the automatic assumption by many bloggers that only Iraqis who parrot their own beliefs represent the true Iraq.
I'm, more troubled by this attitude in pro-war bloggers, of course, because I am antiwar, and being human, I tend to get more upset at those who disagree with me.

But antiwar people can do that too, and I am afraid that I did yesterday, and so I apologize.

That is all.

No comments: