Friday, March 11, 2005

Was I Right About Joe Farah?

Earlier I suggested that Joseph Farah had a solution to Lebanon's demographic problem.
Well, he is coming awfully close - he essentially wants to expel a large number of Shiites.

Now, I am not certain of his claims that Hezbollah-supporting Shiites are Iranians rather than Lebanese Arabs (in fact, I am uncertain how much support from Iran Hezbollah gets), but this should be something that can be checked. Any readers want tot take me up on this? If they are mostly native Lebanese Arabs, then Farah is essentially advocating ethnic cleansing in order to get his ethnic group (Lebanese Christians) back in control (apparently his solution to the discrepancy between the demographics of Lebanon and the representation proportions in the parliament is that they should be brought into balance, but by making the population reflect the parliament rather than letting the parliament reflect the population).

Of course, one of Farah's statements seems to me to be rather dishonest:

"There were always Shiites in Lebanon. But before the Iranian revolution, they were a peaceful people, easily assimilated into the country's diverse population of Sunnis, Druze and Christians."

Were any of Lebanon's peoples ever peaceful?

It seems to me that "democracy" and "freedom" are for Farah codewords meaning: making sure that my guys are the ones in power.

That is all.

No comments: