Monday, April 04, 2005

Right to Vote and Subtexts

Why do I think that the sybtext of Greg Moses' protest against requiring photo IDs to vote is that he doesn't really care if illegal immigrants get to vote (which is a big part of why people want these laws?

I have a feeling that he thinks that everyone in the world who wants to should be able to vote on America's leaders, citizenship or no. Anyhting else is "white privilege."

As for concerns that someone will vote more than once, I'm not sure whether he really doesn't think it is a big issue or doesn't care.

And just to show that I am not simply a partisan hack, I am also disturbed by the paper-trailless voting machines, and by the fact that one of the companies was headed by someone with strong ties to the GOP. I don't know that there was wrongdoing, but the regulations need to be such that such wrongdoing is not possible. That there may not have been a problem this time around does not mean that we shouldn't protect ourselves from the possibility in the future.

That is all.

No comments: