Monday, July 03, 2006

Reading Between the Lines

According to an artilce in Mother Jones, Congressman Dana Rohrbacher changed his position on embryonic stem-cell research because when he and his wife going through fertility treatments which included embryo transplantation it changed his persepctive:

“I have done a lot of soul-searching but also a lot of rethinking about reality, and what’s going on here, and I have come to the conclusion that I’m…first, I’m still pro-life. But I always said that life begins at conception. But…I was always predicating that on the idea that life begins at conception when conception begins in a woman’s body... I don’t think that the potential for human life exists in a human embryo until it’s implanted in a human body."

If I were cynical, I might suggest that Mr. Rohrbacher's views were altered primarily because the process that he and his wife went through likely created a number of surplus embryos, and not wanting for his wife to gestate them, or to go through a lot of hoops to get them adopted, he decided to define their person-status in the way that would be most convenient for himself and his wife.

But I'm not that cynical, am I?

That is all.

No comments: