Saturday, December 17, 2005

Thoughts on God and Morality

A while back, Thrasymachus (I think it was him) had a post on God and morality. It would have been on his old blog, which is now defunct, and sop I cannot list the initial post.

The question was essentially whether or not belief that God exists was necessary for morality. Or whether or not the existence of God affected morality. The theory being posited was that the nature of the universe determined morality, and so things were wrong or right regardless of God's existence (the assumption apparently being that the idea that morality rests on God requires that we assume that God simply makes morality by fiat).

I would disagree on two counts.

First, the existence of God, I would argue, makes the nature of the universe different than it would be without Him.

Second, because morality, in order to mean anything, requires a level of transcendence. I don't believe that you can have true transcendence without believing in the supernatural. Not that religious stuff per se is the only stuff that has transcendence, but that the supernatural is required for anything else to be transcendent.

What do I mean by transcendence? I think that this piece by Lawrence Auster gives a fairly good explanation.

That is all.

No comments: