Sunday, October 09, 2005

Listening to Another Mother of a Dead Soldier

Admittedly, I see Cindy Sheehan as a bit whacko. Which is why I don't post much about her. She does not represent the antiwar movement as I would like to see it (and I think that it was a bad idea for Llewellyn Rockwell to give her a forum at the recent Mises Institute Seminar Series).

Having said that, I think it will be a lot harder to counteract criticism from another mother, who lost her son in Afghanistan rather than Iraq - namely, Mary Tillman, who says her son "believed the US war on Iraq was '[expletive] illegal' and counted Noam Chomsky among his favorite authors." (Yeah, that part about Chomsky irks me, too. Too bad he didn't say, oh, Justin Raimondo instead).

Apparently, despite signing up for the war in Afghanistan, former NFL player Pat Tillman, much beloved by the neocons at the time of his death, was not a supporter of the war in Iraq, and his parents are starting to publicize that fact.

Why would the parents of Pat Tillman publicly express anger at the Bush administration?

I don't know, perhaps the fact that the military lied (by commission, it appears, as well as by omission) to them and everyone else about Tillman's death, which was actually from "friendly fire," might have something to do with it?

Thanx and a tip o' the hat to Information Clearing House.

No comments: