Sunday, October 16, 2005

Cathartic Blogging?

Many bloggers do so for therapeutic reasons, to get catharsis, according to this Washington Post article.

Scott Gilbreath at Magic Statistics questions this:

"Most bloggers that he follows seem to be driven by other, shall we say, more altruistic, motives. By that, I mean a desire to share one’s knowledge, expertise, or opinions with ‘net surfers. For myself, this is my experience of blogging as well. My blog, and the blogs listed in my sidebar, focus on information, expert or other special knowledge, and/or commentary on current events of various kinds. Therapy doesn’t enter into it at all, as far as I can tell."

But isn't that a form of catharsis? At least for a lot of political bloggers, I would think that part of the motivation is: "Finally, after watching all these other people opine on things, half of whom are idiots than whom my dog could write better, I have the ability to tell it as I see it, and to show those half of opinionists who are idiots for what they really are!" Well, that was my motivation, anyway - at least I find that that is part of my motivation; rebutting Jack Kelly, Richard Poe, and a host of others when they say something I vehemently disagree with gives me a small sense of control that is very cathartic; I feel like I provide some sort of balance against all of the columnists whose ideas I think are wrong or who really, really irritate me.

So I can definitely see why people would see blogging as "therapy."

That is all.

No comments: