Sunday, October 09, 2005

I am a Citizenist

In the recent Sailer vs. Taylor verbal deathmatch, I come down strongly on Steve Sailer's side.

Whereas Jared Taylor is a white nationalist, that is, he thinks that whites should put the interests of white people first, Steve Sailer calls himself a "citizenist," that is, he thinks that Americans (by which I mean U.S. citizens), as well as the U.S. government, should put the interests of Americans first; ahead of those of foreigners, particularly those who are not yet citizens but who wish to become so. That is, the presumption should be that the interests of those who are already U.S. citizens should come first; both to the government, and, presumably, to other U.S. citizens.

[Side note: I am not particularly happy with the fact that U.S. citizens are referred to as "Americans," or that the U.S.A. is often thought of as "America." Technically, anyone living in the western hemisphere is an "American," as the entire western hemisphere is "America." I feel a little as if the U.S. has sort of stolen the term from Canada, Mexico, Brazil, etc.]

I agree that "citizenism" is a better philosophy than any sort of racial solidarity, because ultimately it unites people based on a common culture and geography, and thus makes for less internal civil conflict than ethnic nationalism, which creates sitautions that either involve heavy repression, severe conflict, or both (Iraq, anyone?) Ethnic or racial nationalism as a philsophy would work well, I think, only in a mostly racially homogenous society, and I am not eager to see a massive ethnic cleansing campaign in the US.

I will admit that I may be biased, as I have black, Asian, and Hispanic relatives. But I think that dividing the country will not help us compete in the world, whereas aggressively promoting pour national interests will.

I probably should think more about this and post more specfic thoughts on it, but for the time being, let me identify myself as a citizenist.

That is all.

No comments: