Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Glaivester's Law and Illegal Immigration

I'm sure most of you are aware of Godwin's Law, which states that any Usenet discussion, if it goes on long enough, gets someone to bring up Hitler and the Nazis.

I notice a similar trend in the arguments I make. If they go on long enough, I make an analogy to rape.

So here goes.

In a recent posting, Andrew Sullivan points out that a lot of us had ancestors who came into this country illegally (although I would hesitate to call them, as Andrew's correspondent does, "immigrants," as a lot of them were actualy colonists). So this, apparently, ought to make us more understanding of illegal immigrants.

Well, does that also mean that if you or one of your direct ancestors was conceived during a rape, that you have to excuse rape as an act?

The fact of the matter is, we need to have border control, whether or not this offends our sensibilities in terms of where we come from.

That is all.

No comments: