Thursday, November 03, 2005

Thoughts on Liberals

From some of the discussions I have had commenting on Alas, a blog, I have come to a realization about many liberals:

They essentially have the mentality of teenagers:

I have the right to do whatever I want with my life, and if it costs money and I can't afford it, my parents (i.e., society) has the obligation to support it. But the fact that they should pay my way doesn't mean that they have any say over what I do.

Granted, the liberals tend to transfer this into a more universal belief system (i.e. it doesn't apply just to them, or even primarily to them), but there is a very strong sense that because property rights are highly expendable, and personal rights (i.e. the right to do what you want with your own body) are not, that it is perfectly acceptable to expect society to finance irresponsible behavior.

Of course, the problem is what to do when the responsible people get tired of getting hosed and decide to pull an Atlas Shrugged, but I don't know if most liberal think ahead that far.

That is all.

No comments: