Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Supporting the Troops

Michael Neumann's post on Iraq in Counterpunch brings up an important question.

What does it mean when I say that I oppose the War in Iraq, but support the troops?

The answer is simple:

It means that I am against the war because I don't want to people dying in an unnecessary and counterproductive war.
However, if it comes down to it, and someone has to die in an unnecessary and counterproductive war, I would rather it be the Iraqis than our troops.
Also, it means that I am against losing a few thousand American troops in this war even if it saves, net, a few hundred thousand Iraqis to get Saddam out of there (which I don't think it will - I think that more lives will be lost than saved, but I would oppose the war anyway).

I think this highlights the difference between the conservative and liberal opposition to the war.

That is all.

No comments: