Monday, December 03, 2012

Thoughts on Jovan Belcher

I sort of like the animated series The Boondocks (I never read the comic strip much, so I am primarily qualified only to comment on the series). It shows a high level of self-awareness as to the problems of today's black culture, and is surprisingly less mean-spirited toward whites than one might expect (and in many cases, whites are satirized largely as SWPLs or as shallow rather than as racist).

I thought that this clip from the show probably offers actual insight into the process that likely fueled Jovan Belcher's murder-suicide.

I suppose one could be offended by dealing with a stupid, senseless murder like this using humor, but I think that some of the best humor comes from a sense of bitterness and anger at things that are just wrong; and the humor used in this piece is, I think, very appropriate to the situation. That is all.

3 comments:

Heather/Alessandra said...

Hi, just wanted to say that your comment on The American Conservative SSM thread was so perfect!

(the one responding to the idiotic commenter that said religious freedom was in place if a person was allowed to quietly think something religious in their heads only)

Fortunately Rod responded partially before you and I just thought you nailed every remaining point.

Refreshing :-)

Heather

Baloo said...

Yo! Say, I just added you to my blogroll at Ex-Army:
http://ex-army.blogspot.com/
Want to put Ex-Army on yours?

Baloo said...

Thanks. I just swiped the Nigga Moment.