Thursday, October 18, 2007

Thoughts About the GOP Race

Accoding to this, Sen. Brownback is planning on dropping out of the GOP race.

I think that this is a good idea. Moreover, I think that Brownback ought to endorse Mike Huckabee, as they seem to be the closest on the issues.

As I see it, Brownback and Duncan Hunter are essentially lesser versions of Huckabee and Tom Tancredo, respectively, and they do not add anything to the race. Therefore, unless they can show significant polling numbers, I see no reason for them to keep running (whereas if they had unique interesting positions, I could justify their staying in the race despite low poll numbers because of what they added to the debate; for example, Tom Tancredo brings up the big picture on immigration in a way that no other candidate does and Ron Paul brings up monetary policy and non-interventionism).

Hunter should drop out and endorse Tancredo, in my opinion.

It is, of course, more likely that Brownback will endorse one of the big three in hopes of kissing up to power, which is sad, because I think that Huckabee would add something interesting to the race if he could consolidate the "compassionate social conservative" vote.

Update: Andrew Sullivan seems to be suggesting the same thing as I am about Brownback vis a vis Huckabee.

That is all.

No comments: